Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Famous Seamus

While researching blogs I found an article on the CBC site by Matthew McKinnon called "Our Home and Native Blogs" that lists the top ten blogs in Canada. He claims that his favorites "deliver a depth of knowledge, degree of passion and quality of writing that rival--or dare we admit, sometimes surpass--the efforts of the mainstream media and their fancy-pants journalists". Among the sites I checked out, I was especially intrigued by one called Bookninja The site is published by George Murray, Kathyryn Kuitenbrouwer and Peter Darby, all of whom are well ensconced in the literary world. I was pleased to see their entry on Seamus Heaney's latest prize, the 2006 Eliot prize for poetry. His newest collection District and Region is a look at a world "in which conflict is inescapable, war omnipresent". I'm afraid this is ringing true. I would like to read the collection.

No comments: